Registered for LEED® certification.
For decades, the large Starbucks at Seattle’s University Village outdoor mall has been one of our busiest stores, beloved by large crowds of students hitting the books and shoppers seeking rest from their treasure hunts.
When it was time to renovate this legendary store, we looked for ways to make it even more inviting and inspiring – with large community tables, warm wood features and green design elements throughout.
Notable Store Elements
- Redwood siding on the exterior is from reclaimed Eastern Washington hop-vine poles.
- Table wood was salvaged from a fallen ash tree in Seattle’s Wallingford neighbourhood.
- Paints, finishes and adhesives were designed not to interfere with the aroma of coffee.
- The leather on the bar is scrap from shoe and car factories.
- The wood used in the wall fixtures was recycled from school sports stands.
- The wall tapestry is made of burlap coffee bags from our local roasting plant.
- Dual-flush toilets and low-flow taps significantly reduce our water use.
- LED and CFL bulbs reduce our energy use.
- Over 80% of the construction waste was diverted from landfill and reused or recycled.